Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The View from Saturday (1997)--E.L. Konigsburg

Man oh man, I hated this book. Hated it. Didn't expect to--the same author wrote the thoroughly enjoyable From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. And in theory, the story of a group of intelligent, social-misfit kids finding each other and forming their own friendly circle sounds fine. But ugh, in practice it was totally insufferable. So much stilted dialogue. So much lazy writing (at least fifty inconsequential events, we're told, happened "Just. Like. That."). And symbolism so heavy-handed I think I was briefly knocked unconscious after getting hit over the head with it one too many times. (Example: at one of the kids' first gatherings, they sit down together and work on a jigsaw puzzle of a great big, warm and loving pink heart. Yes, really.)

Noah, the first kid introduced, was decently entertaining and rang pretty true as a 12-year-old. I'm afraid I can't say the same about any of his friends. (Nadia, whose schtick is never using contractions, was probably the most annoying and wooden, but believe me, she's got competition.) I have issues with "child genius" characters in general, though. They're such a cop-out. Authors who employ this type of character too often think they don't have to create an authentic child's voice; they can just make the little prodigy sound like a stiff adult, and if anyone questions this, they can say "oh, but she's really advanced for her age."

I was also turned off by the novel being centered around an Academic Bowl competition. Look, I'm no anti-intellectual…but seriously, who the hell cares about an Academic Bowl? Please do not expect this sort of event to have me on the edge of my seat with nail-biting suspense. Do not expect me to believe the cool middle school kids give a rat's ass who wins the Academic Bowl. And please do not expect me to find a scene in which the kids review flash cards with their teacher exciting.

God, the teacher. I haven't even mentioned her yet. So, all through the book, there's a big mystery dangling over our heads regarding the supposedly unorthodox method she used to pick the members of her winning Academic Bowl team. The mystical, turban-wearing father of the Indian kid on the team tells her he knows how she chose them, and the teacher is just astounded anyone could have possibly figured it out. Then, at long last, the big secret is revealed…

…and it turns out…

…she picked the four most studious, courteous students in her class. Oh my God!! Talk about a shocking twist!! Who would have ever guessed that?!?! It's gonna take me a week, at least, to wrap my mind around that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment